Cross-posted from tumblr (increasingly becoming my main fannish hangout these days) on the off chance anyone still hanging around this joint would like to squee with me about this
- HOLY SHIT so much metal arm porn *_*
- HOLY SHIT so much amazing action porn O_O
- this movie was like two hours of solid action porn. Who even directed this thing? they are to direct ALL THE MOVIES henceforth
- Did Chris Evans get hotter or is it just that the haircut and the new suit really really work for him? (note to self: conduct further research).
- I did not expect Falcon to be in the movie for solidly logical plot reasons instead of entirely gratuitous comic-canon-fodder excuses. This was an entirely welcome surprise.
- On a more serious note, what you need to understand about me going into this movie is that I am intimately familiar with Brubaker's Winter Soldier arc from his Captain America run, and I love it like I love few other non-Deadpool-starring things Marvel has ever given me. I went into this movie with expectations. The movie I got did not deliver the Winter Soldier arc I loved so much in the comics; instead, it was a few iconic WS moments pasted onto an entirely different story (where, alas, they did not entirely fit). The comic-version implications that WS had been pulled out of the freezer specially to fuck with Steve's head - the loss of the whole sequence where Steve reads through the intelligence report that spells out exactly who he's up against, all the glorious angsty goodness to follow - are absences I feel on a very deep and personal level. The lack of more than a couple of passing mentions of the Russian/Soviet connections missing from the new plotline, only a little less so. The movie very nearly made up for these losses by a) being completely fucking awesome, and b) promising me a completely unexpected ENTIRE SECOND ACT to follow. Nonetheless, my biggest complaint about Captain America: Winter Soldier is that it did not contain nearly as much Winter Soldier as I had been led to expect.
- The scene where we thought we were getting a surprise!badass old lady and instead got Natasha in a clever disguise was unanimously voted the movie's Biggest Disappointment in our post-showing debrief. So, basically right with you there, tumblr. It was still awesome, but it could've been awesomer
- did I mention that metal arm thing? Because damn. I was not quite expecting how well that would work for me.